Friday, February 04, 2005

BloggeRage

So there is this stupid situation that occurred in the 'sphere (oh no, WHOM do I credit for that word?) not to long ago.
I found out about it on: WizBang!
Let me summarize it as such:

A 13yr old named Austin has a blog, and posts a picture that he got from another blog. He then HAPPENS to be read by a bunch of people and gets linked by InstaPundit.

From there, it gets ugly. This guy Jordan, from a Blog that I won't link cuz I think he has received enough traffic from this, complains FOR Matt (Blogs for Bush).

The contention wasn't even really the USE of the pic, or the non-credit, it was over the TRAFFIC that Austin "STOLE" from Matt. This happened because a "famous" blogger (Glenn Renyolds) posted it on InstaPundit. BLOG TRAFFIC STEALING? I don't think that could even be considered intellectual property?

The long and short of it is, some guy gets a little blog-sessive and freaks out on a 13yr old. It reminds me of some really weird Comic Book Convention where some kid comes up and buys the last of a "Rare comic" and some guy goes bonkers, or maybe one of those role playing tournaments like "Pokemon" or "Magic" where you see some 11 yr old beat a 25yr old and the older guy goes nuts and pulls out a rule book.

I am not saying that we shouldn't follow the "rules," I am all about rules. But where do we draw the line? and When do we choose what rules to follow? I know for a fact that all bloggers stretch the rules when it comes to COPYRIGHT, sure it's all fair use, but in doing so, we can't say it's ok for US in THIS instance, but not in THAT one.

Below are all the links to make sure I am not STEALING anything.

"InstaRage"
"Austins Blog"
"Blogs for Bush"
The Dictionary

No comments: