Thursday, February 17, 2005

Pro-what?

Howard Dean, the man is a walking news story.
The New York Post reported recently that Dean wants Dem's to stop referring to themselves and the party as "Pro-Choice." Here is his quote:
I don't think we should use 'pro-choice.'
The Post explains that Dean said this because he feels the term implies that the party and it's members are "too pro-abortion."

Umm What?

Right Wing News talks about the Dean statements from the post article in their recent post: Howard Dean's Abortion Subterfuge

RWN lists various reasons why this is just absurd. But the best comment, actually came in the form of a 'comment' from Christopher Taylor on RWN blog:

"It's almost as if he's admitting that the Democrat Party's primary problem is that people are accurately perceiving their true nature." -- Christopher_Taylor


I don't know what to make of Dean's statement More below...once I figure this out...

I guess that Dean is worried that with this "shift" to the 'right' that this country displayed in the last election, that he wants to deflect attention from some hot button issues. Maybe, it is the old idea that if you say it enough times, you will start to believe it. Maybe if Dean can convince Democrats that they aren't "Pro-Choice" then they are simply something else... and therefore innocent of all attacks from the "Pro-Life" crowd.

I don't know, it seems to me that this is style over substance. Changing the meaning of Word's is clearly Clintonesque though, so who knows, maybe he can work wonders. I used to have some respect for him, but I guess I wish the big "D" could get people in their party like they used to... (i.e. Truman, Kennedy, etc...)

No comments: